Sunday, February 3, 2008

Where's my airline seat?...

MSNBC.com has an article about how a Delta Airlines passenger found half of her seat taken up by a XL passenger. Here is a portion of the article:
"...When I got to my seat, half of it was missing.
Sitting next to me, in the middle seat, was an extremely large woman. So large that she not only took up her own seat, but half of mine. There was no way for her to put the armrest down. She said she hoped there was room for me.
I discreetly asked one of the flight attendants if I could buy a seat in first class, and was told that first class was full. I asked if the remainder of the plane was full, and they said that there were no empty seats.
A flight attendant suggested that the only way to change my seat was to “find a cute boy or girl” and sit on their lap. Not only did I find this offensive, but also it was distressing.
One of the flight attendants came over and offered the large passenger next to me a seat belt extender. I tried to sit down, but ended up spending half of the flight on this woman’s lap and the other half spilling over into the aisle.
I e-mailed Delta after the flight and asked for a refund. I bought one seat, and I didn’t even have half of one. Delta thanked me for the feedback but refused to do anything. Don’t you think I deserve something?"

Here is the answer to the question. So what would you have done?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As a flight attendant for another airline I see this problem a LOT! It puts the flight attendants in a very bad position. The management of my airline does not want to take on any potential lawsuits due to XL discrimination. I have felt just awful having to tell skinny people with only half a seat there is nothing I can do. I have offered them the opportunity to take another flight, but that is not really a solution. It is of my thinking that if you have only half a seat you should pay half the fare for that seat. Next time, try that approach.

The All Seeing Eye said...

I see your point, Edward. I agree with SouthWest airlines in making those people pay for two seats.

Anonymous said...

I would be pissed if I had to sit next to a fat ass and they were taking up half of my seat. I would have told them as much too.

Discrimination? Give me a break. The airlines need to outfit their planes with wide load seating.

I would have been taking photos and emailing them to the airline as well as ABC News and they would be giving me a full refund.